Monday, January 4, 2010

I talked to daddy today


My regular readers know that the families of our fallen always weigh heavily on my heart. They also serve, especially the children. My friend Dean wrote and sent me the following, and gave me permission to share it with you all....

I talked to daddy today.

Daddy I miss you. Mommy cries alot now so I think she misses you too. Sissy walks around with a picture of you in her hand and every time she looks at it she stops and says "Why daddy, why did you have to go?"


I'm just little and don't understand and I sure wish you'd come home.
Brother is leaving for Afghanistan soon and I know that's where you were last I knew. He's almost as big as you.


Mom cries when she talks to him and doesn't want him to go but he says he must, he says it's his duty. But I'm just little and don't understand you know.


Some really nice men put this white stone here for you so I hope you can hear me. Why can't you just come home?


Pastor says you're in heaven with the angels and you're safe now. Is it pretty there? I'm so confused by all this but maybe God could spare you for a little while, so please dad, can you just ask Him about coming home? Even for a little while. Mommy would be happy and sissy too and maybe brother wouldn't have to go.


They gave mom a flag and some medals they say belonged to you. They say you saved some men. Were they daddy's too? Everybody says you're a hero but you're just my dad and I miss you.


There are so many white stones here I guess that's where other daddy's are too. So I'm pretty sure you aren't alone.


Mom says it's your day of honor and we'll come here every year to visit for a while.
Do you think God would let you come home and maybe those other daddy's too? Just for a little while?


I'm just little and don't understand.


Some men came by not long ago and pushed this flag in the ground. They said you are a hero and that's why you're here but I know you're just my dad, won't you please come home?


Daddy we miss you.


I know it's pretty here and all but I sure miss playing with you. I'll try to be brave because I know you want me to and mom says I look just like you but I'm just little and don't understand.


So if you can, won't you please ask God if He will let you go? All of us love you so much and we sure need you here.


Mom says it's time to go now so don't forget. Daddy we miss you, please come home.


~Dean~


Dean also said this, when I asked his permission to share his words:


You know when I saw this picture and I don't recall where, I tried to imagine what a young child might say to their daddy. It struck me that the little ones have no concept of what death is so I added a few words. They seemed to fit.


The picture alone made me weep like a child and I have difficulty reading the words now without a few tears being shed.


We owe so much to our brave heroes. Words will never be enough.


Dean has that absolutely right. Words will never be enough, but we can, and must, always remember and honour our fallen heroes, and their precious families.

Thank YOU, Dean, for everything. YOU know, and God knows, what I mean.

No comments: