Sunday, December 21, 2008

Music and Me



Back in August, I shared KD Lang's version of this song with you all. I hear that this week, there are three versions of this racing up the British charts. The first time in history that three different versions of the same song have done this.

I prefer the original, by the writer of the song - Leonard Cohen. I have loved Leonard for a loooooooooong time. I know, he is one of those people you either love or hate. Since I was a teenager in London his words and songs have moved me, seen me through some "interesting" times in my life. Back then I had no idea that he is Canadian, just that his words touched the universal heart. Years on, I did a CanLit course in university, and Leonard was one of the authors we studied. Long story short, but I wrote a letter to him, and eventually got a reply. Yes! It is one of my prized possessions, tucked away in one of the many Cohen books I have. Then, quite recently CBC radio ran an interview with him. I, of course, had to tune in, and then wrote the programme and shared my 'connection' to Leonard. It seems that interview garnered such a huge response that CBC dedicated a follow-up show to the letters about Canadians' responses. And yes! They emailed and asked if they could share my letter in that show. DUH! I faxed them a copy of my letter; obviously I was not about to part with the original, and I was told that they had it taped to their office wall.

I have often said how I wished I was half the wordsmith, craftsman, Leonard is. Aaaaaaaah, Leonard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Just wow.
I wish I had a fireplace. I'd love to sit in front of a fireplace and listen to that song over and over.

Thanks, Brat.

Sylvia